Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm an federal employing transferring to Fort Ga. from

Customer Question
I'm an federal employing...

I'm an federal employing transferring to Fort Stewart Ga. from Virginia Beach.The landlord states l'm required to pay 3 months of rent for breaking the lease but I'm on orders and gave her a 30 day notices.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Va.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm retired military and I always thought if you were on government oders you could break your lease.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Ok, so if you a member of the military, then the landlord's actions are a violation of the SCRA if they are making you pay the lease breakage fee. Generally, the service member that is being deployed is required to pay rent only for those months before the lease is terminated. Thus, if you leave early, then you do not owe for months that you are not staying in the apartment.

You must provide written notice of your intent to invoke your rights under the SCRA to your landlord as well as a copy of your orders.Your termination becomes effective 30 days after the next rental payment is due. That means that if your rent is due on the first of the month, and you deliver your notice on April 7, the termination date will be May 31st.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.