Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If a board is violating city laws, but will not even address…

Customer Question
If a board is...

If a board is violating city laws, but will not even address this with owners what are our options

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Lenox Rd Atlanta Ga.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Do you mean to Board or to city. We have tried to address with board several times with no answers. In minutes at one time they said arborist report had been filed and we requested copy. Board Presidenr stated we would get by June 26. Now they are contending no report was ever made.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have been to two straight board meetings. The first one when I was given the floor the property manager immediately interrupted and even stated she would have us removed by authorities. The second meeting the secretary said I had three minutes to discuss my concerns because the property manager would then go on the clock. We had only met an hour and I was told her time with us under contract is 1 1/2 hours.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 10 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. How exactly are the city ordinances being violated, and how are you affected by this?

Trees on our property were cut down at the request of one tenant (not an owner). There has never been an arborist report provided by board after numerous requests. We have gotten in email minutes that Board okayed removal of trees. This was at a cost to all owners. City code says arborist report should be done. The board is denying us access to these and other condo documents. Can they do this if records are not about personnel. We would like to see management company bid records, etc and are being denied access to our property documents.

Thank you.

Document Access

This is a separate matter all together. In GA, one has to send a written request to see HOA documents, which has to be granted provided reasonable time is given. Reasonable time is considered 10 days from receipt of request. If the HOA fails to do this, the owner can SUE the HOA for the records and get attorney fees. See more HERE. They cannot deny records that you described because they fall into the general business of the HOA.

Violations of City Ordinance

Not as much can be done here. Unless you are DIRECTLY impacted/damaged by the violation, you have no standing to sue the HOA for not following the city ordinances.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.