Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I own a duplex that is available for rent. It's in Los

Customer Question
I own a duplex...

I own a duplex that is available for rent. It's in Los Angeles and also subject to LA Rent Control ordinance. Three unrelated parties are seeking to rent the unit. I've checked them out (credit, evictions, unlawful detainers, etc.) and they are OK. Questions: #1.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Yes. California. Los Angeles. And subject to LA Rent Control. My questions are: #1. Are all 3 tenants responsible for rent? If not paid would I be evicting all 3? #2. If one of the tenants leaves voluntarily and the other two want to bring in a 3rd person to replace the one that left, should I have them all sign a new lease? And does that constitute a "voluntary departure" from the unit and thereby allows me to raise the rent on the unit to market level upon signing the new lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

None.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Lawyer

Hello! Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** have over 12 years of legal experience.

During this conversation, you might experience some delays while I work with several customers at the same time, or I am preparing a response to you. Please do not click Opt Out expecting a faster response. This results in more delays while waiting for another Expert. I assure you I will help you in due time. Thank you in advance for your patience and understanding.

Most of this is covered in the lease agreement. Do you have that available? If so, can you attach it for me?

Please be advised that I am about to go to lunch, but I will be back to continue assisting you in about 1.5 hours.

Tina, Lawyer