Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My hot water heater has been out of service for over a week…

Customer Question
My hot water heater...

My hot water heater has been out of service for over a week and my landlord is aware and is not responding to any of my calls or text how should I proceed

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No but he has sent someone to look at and the hot water heater therefore he is aware

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No not at this time

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/28/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

okay thank you

Under Texas law, your lease provides that you are entitled to peaceable use and possession of a habitable premises, meaning that the landlord has a duty to make reasonable repairs to insure the premises is in livable condition. Not having hot water is a breach of that lease (even if it is an oral lease) is a breach of the lease and grounds to sue the landlord or to leave the premises and terminate the lease without penalty.

Since he has sent someone out, he must make the repairs in a "Reasonable time" which is held by the courts to depend on availability of parts and contractors to do the work. A hot water heater should not take more than 1 week to replace.

In the meantime, you can demand the landlord refund your rent for every day without hot water or to pay for you to go stay elsewhere during the time there is no hot water and if the landlord refuses, you can sue for breach of lease.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.