Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I moved into an apartment 3 months ago. The landlord has…

Customer Question
I moved into an apartment...
I moved into an apartment 3 months ago. The landlord has sent me addendum to sign, i don't want to make the changes to the lease. What do i do, etc. !?
Please help. I am sick and my wife is worn out from having to run her business, watch our children and keep me well.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/27/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

So long as the lease does not provide otherwise, the landlord may not unilaterally change the terms of the signed lease during the lease term.

They would have to wait until the lease expires to make changes.

In other words, they can not force you to sign an addendum to the lease.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Ok, but do i tell them no, or just ignore the email?

You can tell them, if you want, you are not agreeing to any unilateral changes to the lease agreement.

They can not evict you so long as you are not in breach of your existing lease.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

What do i do if they ask a third time after i tell them no.

You do not have to do anything. You do not have to respond more than once. You have no legal obligation to sign anything unilaterally amending the lease.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!