Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a home on FHA October 2009. I was not aware of the…

Customer Question
I bought a home...

I bought a home on FHA October 2009. I was not aware of the risks I would have regarding living in a Hazardous Flood Zone. Every year (especially the last 3) the flood insurance has increased massively. My payments have more than doubled a month with this increase. My house has never been flooded btw.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Mind you, I had to file bankruptcy in 20013 due to an ugly divorce. I never signed the mortgage again, so this mortgage shows closed on my credit score. I live in Indiana.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I cannot afford to live in this house anymore. The crime has gotten worse on the road, and the flood insurance has become ridicules. Can I short sell this house without them coming after me? And I am not sure about what paperwork you are inquiring about.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

2013* filed bankruptcy

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/27/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
You have a few options. You can negotiate to short sell in exchange for a release. You can also hire a broker to sell it at market and perhaps make a few dollars doing so. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!