Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My ex-wife and I own property together. we are behind on…

Customer Question
My ex-wife and I...

My ex-wife and I own property together. we are behind on taxes.

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

She doesn't want to pay her portion of the taxes. what are my options? we own vacant land in Jackson county , Marianna, florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I just got a letter from the tax collector. saying if we don't pay our back taxes by October 10th the land will be sold at aucton.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, you would need to contact the tax assessor and negotiate some payment with them to stop the auction. Under FL law, after a tax lien sale, you have 2 years to redeem by paying everything due to them plus about 5% interest.

If you have a mortgage on the property, you need to notify the mortgage company as they can stop the sale and pay the taxes and then adjust your mortgage payments for escrow payments for taxes.

Otherwise you would need to ask the tax assessor for more time to pay them and pay within that time.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer