Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am a seller of a home and was told last Friday that the…

Customer Question
I am a seller of...
I am a seller of a home and was told last Friday that the buyer had a clear to close by my attorney. I was informed by my attorney yesterday that there was never a clear to close from the lender. My real real estate agent said she received an email from the buyer's realtor that the closing documents were all set.My attorney is trying to figure out what is going on but called the bank to confirm that there isn't a clear to close.Soon this will cost us additional fees, etc. by staying in this home and would like to know what we can do.Would like to get a second opinion.Thank you.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

If there was a closing date and they cannot make that you may be able to sue here for breach of contract and claim earnest money.You can sue for additional costs above that for breach of contract.They have to close by the date on the contract or you are free to sue for breach, claim earnest money, and resell it here.If you grant an extension you should seek compensation in order to give them more time.

These are your options to deal with this under CT law.

I appreciate the chance to help you , sorry you are having to deal with this.

If you can positive rate5 stars it is much appreciated.

Lawyer in case you need to sue for breach of contract you can seek legal fees here plus damages

Fairfield County
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Website: bridgeportbar.org

Hartford, Litchfield, Middlesex, Tolland & WindhamCounty
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Website: hartfordbar.org

New Haven County
Phone: (203)562–5750
Website: newhavenbar.org

New London County
Phone:(###) ###-####br />Website: nlcba.org

What I'm concerned about is that the buyer's real estate agent confirmed there was a clear to close and there obviously wasn't. Would that open up the real estate agent to liability?

Yes it would.You can file realtor complaint and sue realtor for negligence and misinformation.

Thank you for your advice!

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars.