Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My husband and I moved into a mobile home that we were

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I moved into a mobile home that we were buying from a girl I worked with because she moved. My husband passed away in 2015 and I got behind 3 months on rent because I could not afford to live there. Do I have to pay her the money I am behind?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

North Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No not that I know of, I keep telling her I will pay her, I am working on having an auction

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was really wondering if the contract would be void since my husband and I both signed it and he passed away. I have already paid over $20,000 that I am out of now.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
If you signed it you are liable too. However under the circumstances you can often negotiate for either a full or partial waiver of the balance on grounds of non occupancy, unfairness, and lack of assets to pay. If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!