Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Illinois Insurance Law Question. This is a tenant/ landlord…

Customer Question
Illinois Insurance Law Question. This is...
Illinois Insurance Law Question.
This is a tenant/ landlord situation, with a well written lease agreement that included, a waiver of subrogation, indemnification clause, the tenant is to list the landlord as an additional insured (The tenant failed to comply to listing the landlord on their insurance), and is very specific to Negligent acts. A fire occurred at the rental property and after an investigation by both, Local and State Fire agencies(the local agency called in the State agency), it was deemed that the fire was started accidentally by the tenants 5 year old son, while he was "playing with a lighter". The landlord/home owner initially filed the claim under their own insurance policy on the same day that the fire occurred. The tenant was insured under a renters policy with a personal liability umbrella and the landlord was insured under a Rental Dwelling policy that also included a business liability umbrella and contents. The landlords insurance adjuster initiated subrogation immediately without the landlords consent, then would not give the landlord any details into the situation when the landlord inquired of him to do so. The insurance adjuster also denied coverage for water damage that was in fact, fully covered by both, the landlord and the tenants insurance policy. The insurance adjuster stated that the fire was powder extinguished, not water extinguished(this is not true and the fire reports show the use of water, the report do NOT however say anywhere that powder was used to extinguish). The insurance adjuster furthermore told the contractors that the fire was extinguished by powder so the repairs were not covered. There was a major amount of water damage, the contractors could not even begin working without approval for the amount of damage that the insurance adjuster claimed was not covered. The landlord the hired a public Adjuster , signed a contract and never heard from the public Adjuster again. The insurance adjuster issued a check to the public Adjuster even though the landlord informed the insurance adjuster that they had not heard from the public Adjuster since signing the contract. The landlord also informed the insurance adjuster that to their knowledge, the public Adjuster had never even done a walk through, or estimate. The insurance adjuster then told the landlord that the public Adjuster did in fact, complete the walk through / estimate and that he was present during, as he had accompanied him. The insurance adjuster also stated that the public Adjuster agreed to his own initial estimate as being correct, with the addition of a few things and so he added those and now in agreement as to why he sent the public Adjuster the check. The landlord never received an estimate , any type of notice or was never made aware that the public Adjuster had even been to the property just yet. According to the insurance adjuster , he met with the public Adjuster , completed the walk through with him, and gave him a copy of his own estimate for the the public Adjuster to review and after reviewing, the public Adjuster requested the insurance adjuster add in a few items in which he did , then agreed and now the insurance adjuster sent a check but yet the insured/ landlord was never made aware of this at all. So another words , the insurance adjuster did the public adjusters work in configuring the estimate and sent the landlord the estimate. The new estimate was signed by the insurance adjuster , not the public Adjuster. In fact , nothing in the estimate anywhere showed that it was done by the public Adjuster as it was done and issued by the insurance adjuster and his own company. The landlord has still, has not been able to reach or has still never heard back from the public Adjuster . What happened here, Does anyone know? Very confused...
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/26/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

The Landlord needs to file complaint against the insurance company with the Department of Insurance for refusing to act in the best interest of the Landlord and for sending check to an adjuster that the Landlord specifically told the insurance company not to communicate with. The insurance company must obtain the check back from the public adjuster and then work with an adjuster that the Landlord wants to work with.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law