Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Does being included on a lawsuit "in rem only" because I am…

Does being included on...

Does being included on a lawsuit "in rem only" because I am the lien holder affect my credit scores? Also, if the property is sold for back taxes will I be paid the balance of my lien?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes, I received a notice of the lawsuit via registered mail and it has a case number ***** it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If the person that I sold the property to does this all just go away or do I need to file any paperwork with any entity?

I meant to say "if the person that I sold the property to pays the back taxes" does this all just go away or will I need to file any paperwork with any entity?
9/26/2017
TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney

Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions.

If the property is sold via a tax sale, then your interest will be wiped out. You will no longer have a lien, and so you will not be paid in full. However, the tax sale will indeed go away if the purchaser pays the taxes in full.

Does that answer your question(s)? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, please remember to provide a positive rating via the stars (and note that your positive rating is the only way that I'll get credit for helping you, so it is much appreciated!). Thank you. :)

If the taxes are paid before going to court will any mention of being sued in Rem only be included on my credit ratings from the three major credit reporting agencies and if so what can I do to remedy that problem?

Hi again.

No, nothing should be reported on your credit report just because you are sued. Only a judgment against you would appear on your credit report.

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney