Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We were forced to vacate our apartment in Seattle half way…

We were forced to...

We were forced to vacate our apartment in Seattle half way through a 12 month lease because the landlord wanted to sell it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Seattle Washington

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

From a attorney web page: In Seattle all tenancies, including month to month tenancies, require just cause. A landlord may not terminate an unexpired lease, for example, because the landlord is selling the property or wants to move in the property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We've already moved at great expense and only just discovered that it may have been improper. Lease ends on the 30th.

9/26/2017
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good evening. Just to be clear, you had a valid lease and the landlord said they were selling and you needed to vacate? Was there anything in the lease that would have allowed them to do this with the proper notice?

No, only reason was to sell.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, you are correct. The landlord would have needed a legal basis to break the lease and demand you vacate. If you had a valid lease in place and they wanted to sell, they could but the new owner/buyer, would have had to take the proper subject to the lease. You would have been able to stay, until the lease expired. Now, if the landlord forced you out and lied to you, you could try and turn around and sue, for the damages suffered/costs incurred, if you can show this was not voluntarily done.

Thank you. That is very helpful

You are welcome. Please let me know if there is anything else, as I would be happy to respond. If not, please remember to rate my help at this time at the top of this page, prior to leaving, so I can receive the proper credit, for our time together. A 5 STAR rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

RealEstateAnswer