Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If I am selling my house and I get a full price offer, but…

If I am selling my...
If I am selling my house and I get a full price offer, but decide not to sell. Am I legally obligated to pay the real estate agent their commission?
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/26/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

In most cases yes, I am afraid. The reason is because if the agent did their job by bringing an able and willing buyer, then they have EARNED their commission. While it depends on the contract, most contracts would then trigger their commission.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Ely, Counselor at Law
Thank you
Thai is helpful
This is helpful ����

No problem. Good luck.