Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can my HOA in NC be successfully sued for discrimination if…

Customer Question
Can my HOA in NC...
Can my HOA in NC be successfully sued for discrimination if its architectoral committee has discriminated against me personally in the past for no reason that I can determine? That is, they have denied my requests while approving other resident's requests which have been materially similar. For instance, they let others build fences near their property lines while making me put my fence 15 feet or more from the property line.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 10 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

The fence was one example but I have another example if you want it.

I am sorry to hear this; an HOA is expected to apply the rules and regulations uniformly or they can be sued for selective enforcement. If the HOA is discriminating based on a protected category such as race, religion, creed, etc, that can be the basis for a discrimination lawsuit; both the actual association and the individual directors may be liable under this theory. The court would need to be persuaded by clear and convincing evidence that the reason is in fact race; so they will consider de facto discrimination if the facts point to that-the judge, as arbiter of facts, would be the party to make that determination.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: