How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 102601
Experience:  Qualified attorney in private practice including business, family, criminal, and real estate issues.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How does it take to see a judge after filing a case in

This answer was rated:

how long does it take to see a judge after filing a case in Johnson county tx with the district court concerning a dispute over land ownership and property taxes that are past due?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

You mean if you filed a tax contest in civil court? Normally, it takes about 6 to 9 months in any county (Johnson included) for the case to come to trial. However, the parties very often settle the case in mediation a few weeks/months after filing.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I want to file a petition to have a co owner removed from some land that was left to us by my mother, the taxes are 5 years past due and they said they would auction it in November , but I don't want to pay them if my sibling remains on the property camping out and causing problems engaging in illegal activities. Can an attorney expedite my case considering the county is about to foreclose due to tax debt?

I am sorry, but the answer is no. What you are describing is filing for what is known as a partition (when more than one owner cannot agree as to what to do with the property so they approach the court to take someone's name off/buy them out/etc). That petition cannot be expedited.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

Ely and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
if I file a partition will that stop a tax foreclosure just temporarily ? I feel like if I pay the taxes off now that will defeat any incentive for the judge to consider my plea, no bargaining power.

No, I am afraid not. The partition will not stop a foreclosure due to tax on the property.