Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We were served with an eviction summons with the names on…

We were served with...

We were served with an eviction summons with the names on the summons are incorrect how do I respond to the complaint

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Port St. Lucie Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Yes I have to respond by Wednesday

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, it was a summons for a fiction and a complaint for unlawful detainer

9/25/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Are the names completely wrong, as in John vs. Chris or are they wrong as in Jon vs. John?

.

What is the basis of the complaint.... failure to pay rent or some other violation of the lease?

.

.

thanks

My last name is ***** ***** my son's first name is ***** ***** and the last name is ***** ***** legal last name. Also the street is spelled wrong

Ok, you can try an object to the complaint being filed, but you would have to go to court to do so in front of the judge. But realistically, the judge would just amend the complaint to correct the misspelling. A case only gets thrown out for something like this on TV because in real life, they just correct the errors and go on with the case if there is a legitimate underlying ground for the complaint..

.

But this actually could benefit you if the landlord does have legal grounds because it wouldn't show up under your correct name if he gets a judgment against you..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

Barrister, Lawyer
We made an oral agreement on September 1 that I could stay till December 1 and then on September 15 my boyfriend filed the evection summons and complaint for unlawful detainer. I'm not certain how to reply or what my affirmative defenses would be. Or how to mention the miss spelling of the names
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started