Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord refused my rent and told me I had 30 days to…

Customer Question
I need help. My...

I need help. My landlord refused my rent and told me I had 30 days to move. Because my neighbor smashed into my van and I called police. He called landlord cried. Landlord siding with him. Police siding with me

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Nebraska

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He has tried to run my son over. He chased my neighbors 11yr old son. He walks back & forth by my house with gun on his side. Much more to terrorize us

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Do you have a written lease which is currently in effect, or is your tenancy month to month?

Do you believe the landlord may be discriminating based upon your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

I own my mobile home. I have lived here 7 1/2 yrs. The lease after 1st yr, went month to month. I am disabled. I had small stroke after this last event with neighbor. He said he doesnt care about what neighbor does to anyone here. He's tired of me not getting along with him. I dont go outside. I called police because he kept parking on top of the bumper of my van. Among other things
Im sorry, I live on SSI and cant afford to call you. Thanks anyway

Thank you for the additional information.

Your right to contact the police to complain to report a crime is protected and if the landlord is attempting to evict you as retaliation for exercising that right you may have a claim for retaliatory eviction.

Likewise, the landlord is prohibited from harassing you and threatening you.

Sometimes a good defense is a strong offense. It may be time to file suit against the landlord to seek damages for the retaliatory eviction and the harassment. In the course of the lawsuit you may be able to leverage a settlement allowing you to stay or at least extend your tenancy.

Start with a cease and desist letter to the landlord threatening litigation if they do not stop the harassment and retaliation.

You can do it yourself or retain an attorney to ratchet up the intimidation factor. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.