Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Help re: home beneficiary Parental house deeded to us after…

Customer Question
help re: home beneficiary Parental house...
help re: home beneficiary
Parental house deeded to us after second wife death.
Home was neglected during time of current owners death. Left to broken pipes, mold (not "black) Many other codes need to be met. We didn't find out house was in this condition until Jan. 2017. When Quick Claim deed was issued. was not aware house abandoned approx. 2 yrs. even after and until our repeated questioning. Now find we are responsible for back taxes, water damage, some mold etc.
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience on this. Generally, if somebody quit claims the deed to a home to another person, the other person basically takes the home as is. This means that they accept all of the issues with the property being Financial, structural, physical, or anything else going on with the land. Therefore, unfortunately it means that even if the home was abandoned, if they were back taxes, if there's water damage, and if there is mold, the new owner is going to be responsible for fixing that stuff. The one upside is that the new owner would be able to go ahead and sell the home if they wanted to. They may be more successful if they quit claim the house to somebody else and let them take over the property. Many times investors or house flippers will take over a home with a quit claim deed. This means that they will just work on taking care of the property themselves and not going to worry about all the taxes are other issues that are going on with the home.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.