Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I've just been notified of an enclosed Carport that is in…

Customer Question
I've just been notified...

I've just been notified of an enclosed Carport that is in violation of city building codes. I am handicapped with a damaged spine which I enclosed a one car garage for to protect me from New England winters. Does my handicapped status protect me from having to remove the enclosed garage?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Massachusetts and I am 75 Years old.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Nothing. I may be contacting a local attorney later this morning as I just received the Building Dept. Notice Friday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'd like to see what his advice is and then ask for your assistance if necessary.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/25/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 7 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Question:

Response: Unfortunately, no. Handicap does not offer exemption to the City's building codes.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law