Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a condo my son lives in. He does not pay rent. The…

Customer Question
I have a condo...

I have a condo my son lives in. He does not pay rent. The only bill under is name is ***** ***** bill. All the utilities are under my name . He wants his girlfriend to move out. Can I tell her I want her out in 3 days or do I have to give her notice .

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes he has a child with her.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/24/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

You need to give notice and if she wont leave, need to formally evict. Practically, if she fears being taken to court, she may willingly leave. A lawyer notice locally may also show her you are serious!

Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable by replying "yes" or "acceptable"

Do I do it in writing?

Yes, and retain a copy

I am not set up for a call, so if you have a follow up just reply in chat.

Ok.. do I do it in writing or do I need to use a form ?

I would use a form and I would recommend letting an eviction lawyer handle it to finish as its cheap and can be more effective

How many days can I ask for ?

30 day notice if less than a year. 60 day notice if there longer.

Even if she never paid any rent .

Yes, she is considered a month to month tenant, independent of rent.

Practically, as mentioned, often such issues are resolved without court by agreeing on a date

Good luck!

Can I get the form online ?

https://www.lawdepot.com/contracts/eviction-notice-landlord-forms/?loc=USCA&pid=googleppc-notice_usca-EvictionT1_qt1-ggkey_california%20eviction%20forms&gclid=Cj0KCQjwr53OBRCDARIsAL0vKrOrjB2_Qj6gp7WZzPuke_sCokm2THEoBDJp4U981aZsIKOB7it58PYaAh5aEALw_wcB#.WcgmXiMrJo4

Kindly rate me positively.

are my replies acceptable?

awaiting your reply, thank you.

Infolawyer, Lawyer