Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We currently own a 40 acre tract of land in South Texas in…

Customer Question
We currently own a 40...
We currently own a 40 acre tract of land in South Texas in an extremely hot area in the Eagleford Shale...We we’re approached by a Landman a few years back who wanted to lease a different tract of land for oil and gas exploration about a mile away long story short they drilled a well on this other property, they tried to pool the 40 acres into that well, but they couldn’t get it done because it was such a distanthey ended up taking on some acreage from the neighbor in between these 2 property’s
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/24/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Thelawman2, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What exactly is your question?

the 40 acres went “unleased” which we always thought was strange considering that there are over 20 wells in one pool to the other side of us 3 of which are 250 ft from the property line and there are at least 4 more completed wells from 2 different pools that are within 500 yards of the property line....all by the same company mind you, so we are talking about something like over 30 producing wells within a mile radius in literally every direction of this unleased “island”property...and these are all horizontal wells at that....and the other day this company decides that they want to work a deal with us on leasing the property, I suspect that they realized that they messed up and are pulling production from under our property by someones careless mistake (thinking it was leased by them) that just slipped through the cracks...the Landman that came and met seemed really nervous and eager to sign that day...making it seem like they are just trying to help us out....we declined as it was a insulting offer he assured they would have a better one, now he has been calling frequently and before I answer...I want to know what you think of this and if they have broken the rules ...
And if so who I should contact to fairly and accuratelyfind out the perf zones or downholw well map or the actual distance they are supposed to stay from unleased boundary line...
Real Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The Texas Supreme Court just issued a major decision about horizontal drilling and trespassing in the case of Lightning Oil Company v. Anadarko E&P Onshore, LLC, No. 15-0910 (Tex. May 19, 2017). In that case, stating that where the company is taking minimal minerals without lease there is no violation. The court did not address the fact of wells set up on adjacent property to specifically pull minerals from neighboring property without a lease, which is what you are describing here.

In your situation, you really need to hire a local oil and gas attorney in your area, as they would have the information on the zones and how to prove that they are taking oil from your land specifically without a proper lease, because the amount you are entitled to is going to be based upon the volume they are pulling from that land where they have no lease.

Because there are so many oil and gas attorneys around, we cannot make personal referrals and the best we can do is suggest you use the same site used by other attorneys, http://www.hg.org.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

This didn’t answer any of my questions at all...,I’m not paying for that!!
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer