Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Can you harvest someone else crop if the rent wasn't paid on…

Customer Question
Can you harvest someone...

Can you harvest someone else crop if the rent wasn't paid on the crop he planted?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No written agreement all agreement was verbally

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/23/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 10 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

Do you mean the rent on the land where the crop was grown wasn't paid on time?

Also, was this an exclusive lease? (meaning the land wasn't leased for multiple purposes)

exclusive lease

You wouldn't be able to harvest the crop and sell it without a specific order of the court. It is basically the same concept as "attaching" a piece of machinery or garnishing an account. You can't just do that without a specific court order.

At this point you could sue to evict them and for the unpaid rent and ask the court to allow you to harvest the crop and deposit the funds into the registry of the court until the case is complete.