Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
17897874

I wanted to ask if me and my husband ( both are names ) are

Hi
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I wanted to ask if me and my husband ( both are names ) are on land of deed and we building a property now on this land ,are we both own property ?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: What paperwork?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes my husband use his business checks to pay for materials and stuff

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Yes, if you are both on the deed then you are both the owners of record. Your ownership is not affected by how the bills are paid. Being named on the deed is prima facie evidence of your ownership interest.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you for answer. We both be (both names) automatically on the house title ?

Thank you for following up with me.

It is not automatic. Michigan is not a community property state.

However, if you are on the deed, then you are an owner of the property.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Basically, my husband need to add my name to the title of the house ? I'm an owner anyway because we are married and I'm on land of deed right?

No, you would not automatically be on the deed just because your were married.

You would need to be added if you are not currently listed as an owner of record.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I'm added to land of deed. So now he has to add me to property? When we receive this document? We just started build a house about 2 weeks ago.

No, if you are already named as an owner on the land deed and a house is constructed on the property then you, in all likelihood, own the house also.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you so much! I will save your information for the future. You helped me with my questions. Have a good weekend !

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!