Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We would like to see what it would cost for you to help us.

Customer Question
Hi We would like...

Hi We would like to see what it would cost for you to help us. We started a 1 year lease in Cape Coral through a Property Mgmt company. 1 year lease started on 08.01.17. We live in NY and planned on moving to the rental in September. We were aware of the lease starting on 08.01.17 even though we would not be there and we agreed to this as we planned on moving in , in September and did not want to risk the rental not being available in September. We did place the utilities, electric and water in our name per the Property Mgr as of the start of the lease. Due to personal health issues and my sister recently diagnosed with MS and also the hurricanes, we decided that we cannot move to FL and have to remain in NY, have to break the lease. I have contacted the Property Mgr by phone, text and email several times this week since we decided this and informed him. We have not heard back from him. He has not responded. The lease is under both my name and my husbands name. The issue I have is, we paid 1 year up rent up front and 1 month security. We are okay with August and September rent being paid as we again planned on being there but due to personal reasons we cannot. I need representation asap to obtain our money that we paid or at least most of it. I have a copy of the lease if needed and my emails that I sent to the Property Manager informing him that we have to break the lease, and all follow up emails. We are also from my understanding, due money for the time, specific days that the county was under mandatory evacuation. The water and utilities are still in my name as the renter right now because I did just inform the Property Mgr of breaking the lease. Also I cannot get through to customer service for the utilities to turn them off as it is not an emergency and most likely they are very busy with the recent weather -issues. The water - I will contact them on Monday to remove my name. Would appreciate it if you can represent us, if you can let me know what this will cost ,etc. Please email or call me any time, as soon as possible. Thanks Melanie **********

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in? It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require). Has anything been filed or reported?

Hi We would like to see what it would cost for you to help us. We started a 1 year lease in Cape Coral through a Property Mgmt company. 1 year lease started on 08.01.17. We live in NY and planned on moving to the rental in September. We were aware of the lease starting on 08.01.17 even though we would not be there and we agreed to this as we planned on moving in , in September and did not want to risk the rental not being available in September. We did place the utilities, electric and water in our name per the Property Mgr as of the start of the lease. Due to personal health issues and my sister recently diagnosed with MS and also the hurricanes, we decided that we cannot move to FL and have to remain in NY, have to break the lease. I have contacted the Property Mgr by phone, text and email several times this week since we decided this and informed him. We have not heard back from him. He has not responded. The lease is under both my name and my husbands name. The issue I have is, we paid 1 year up rent up front and 1 month security. We are okay with August and September rent being paid as we again planned on being there but due to personal reasons we cannot. I need representation asap to obtain our money that we paid or at least most of it. I have a copy of the lease if needed and my emails that I sent to the Property Manager informing him that we have to break the lease, and all follow up emails. We are also from my understanding, due money for the time, specific days that the county was under mandatory evacuation. The water and utilities are still in my name as the renter right now because I did just inform the Property Mgr of breaking the lease. Also I cannot get through to customer service for the utilities to turn them off as it is not an emergency and most likely they are very busy with the recent weather -issues. The water - I will contact them on Monday to remove my name. Would appreciate it if you can represent us, if you can let me know what this will cost ,etc. Please email or call me any time, as soon as possible. Thanks Melanie *************

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/23/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

The Experts here cannot represent you, but you can get a free consultation from at least one of the Cape Coral landlord tenant attorneys listed here.

I hope this information is helpful.