How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 34400
Experience:  30 years of real estate practice experience.
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am writing in regards to a single family residence in

This answer was rated:

I am writing in regards ***** ***** single family residence in California that is a rental. I have just discovered that the tenants
have acquired their parents' two cats. The lease (CA Standard lease agreement) states that " animal or pet shall
be kept.....without Landlord's prior written consent". One factor in choosing these 2 tenants is that they do not have
children or pets and they are renting the house for about $100 less than current market value They just moved in April
2017). Question: Because they have technically broken the lease, can I raise the rent? ($100) and I would give them the OK to have the cats in that case.)

You can not raise the rent unilaterally, but you can demand they get rid of the cats or be evicted and offer to allow them to keep the cats if they sign an amendment agreeing to a rent increase.

Loren and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you