Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am writing in regards to a single family residence in

I am writing in regards...
I am writing in regards ***** ***** single family residence in California that is a rental. I have just discovered that the tenants
have acquired their parents' two cats. The lease (CA Standard lease agreement) states that "......no animal or pet shall
be kept.....without Landlord's prior written consent". One factor in choosing these 2 tenants is that they do not have
children or pets and they are renting the house for about $100 less than current market value They just moved in April
2017). Question: Because they have technically broken the lease, can I raise the rent? ($100) and I would give them the OK to have the cats in that case.)
9/22/2017
Loren, Lawyer

You can not raise the rent unilaterally, but you can demand they get rid of the cats or be evicted and offer to allow them to keep the cats if they sign an amendment agreeing to a rent increase.

Loren, Lawyer