Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My dad has a brother in jail who needed money for a lawyer…

Customer Question
My dad has a brother...
My dad has a brother in jail who needed money for a lawyer so brother gave title to a sister to get a loan to get the money after and nobody would pay for loan the brother then asked my dad if he would purchase the property from him to finish paying the loan. They only made a verbal agreement about the land and now the brother is saying that she never gave permission to sell the land or anything like that so I'm wondering if we can claim the land through adverse possession . We currently have the title in the brothers name and have paid at least 12 years of taxes and have lived on property for 12 years.
Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/22/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 9 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

To be clear, the father purchased the property but there was no paper trail (no deed transfer, no contract)? Is there proof of payment?

Did the uncle have title to the property when

the uncle sold the land or did the sister have title?

Albert is the uncle and my dad's name is Armando. The original deal was done with his sister, Albert had someone give the Sister・ the title to the property and whenever no one would pay for the loan Albert then got in contact with Armando to ask him if he would help pay the loan Armando said the only way he would help pay for the loan if the property became his. The loan was under a sisters name so nowhere does it have Armando making any payments and it's been so long we're not even sure if we have the receipts from when the payments were made. Albert was in prison whenever the whole deal was being made so I'm not sure who exactly had the title and gave it to the Sister・❥・ but I do know Armando Sister gave the title to Armando

So Armando currently has title, would that be correct? confirming: "but I do know Armando Sister gave the title to Armando"

that is correct Armando currently has the title in his possession.
The property has been in possession of Armando for at least 12 years and he's the one who has been paying the taxes and taking care of the property and I also believe he paid back taxes as well.

OK; thanks for the clarification.

The person with the title in their name is ***** ***** be the owner of the land unless a party can prove that there is a pending contract that is written-this is required for land transactions per the statute of frauds. There is an exception to the statute of frauds and that is promissory estoppel. When a purchaser relies on representations made by the seller by either making payments, or making substantial improvements to the property, the seller may be precluded, based on equity, from using the statute of frauds as a defense.

Another issue addressed was adverse possession;

Adverse possession requires possession for 10 years per the following statute:

37-1-22. Title in fee simple by adverse possession; action after ten years barred; definition; payment of taxes.

In all cases where any person or persons, their children, heirs or assigns, shall have had adverse possession continuously and in good faith under color of title for ten years of any lands, tenements or hereditaments and no claim by suit in law or equity effectually prosecuted shall have been set up or made to the said lands, tenements or hereditaments, within the aforesaid time of ten years, then and in that case, the person or persons, their children, heirs or assigns, so holding adverse possession as aforesaid, shall be entitled to keep and hold in possession such quantity of lands as shall be specified and described in some writing purporting to give color of title to such adverse occupant, in preference to all, and against all, and all manner of person or persons whatsoever; and any person or persons, their children or their heirs or assigns, who shall neglect or who have neglected for the said term of ten years, to avail themselves of the benefit of any title, legal or equitable, which he, she or they may have to any lands, tenements or hereditaments, within this state, by suit of law or equity effectually prosecuted against the person or persons so as aforesaid in adverse possession, shall be forever barred, and the person or persons, their children, heirs or assigns so holding or keeping possession as aforesaid for the term of ten years shall have a good and indefeasible title in fee simple to such lands, tenements or hereditaments; provided, that if any person entitled to commence or prosecute such suit or action is or shall be, at the time the cause of action therefor first accrued, imprisoned, of unsound mind or under the age of majority, then the time for commencing such action shall in favor of such persons be extended so that they shall have one year after the termination of such disability to commence such action; but no cumulative disability shall prevent the bar of the above limitation, and this proviso shall only apply to those disabilities which existed when the cause of action first accrued and to no other. "Adverse possession" is defined to be an actual and visible appropriation of land, commenced and continued under a color of title and claim of right inconsistent with and hostile to the claim of another; provided, however that in the case of severed mineral interests the possession by the party in possession of the surface shall be considered as the constructive possession of such mineral claimant until actual possession shall have been taken by such mineral claimant; and provided further in no case must "adverse possession" be considered established within the meaning of the law, unless the party claiming adverse possession, his predecessors or grantors, have for the period mentioned in this section continuously paid all the taxes, state, county and municipal, which during that period have been assessed against the property.

Adverse possession is a complex area so it is important to hire a real estate attorney to bring an adverse possession claim and to put a lis pendens on the record so that third parties will not purchase the property (it is notice of a lawsuit that affects title to the property, or "clouds" the title).

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.