Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am refinancing our home and the loan will be in my name.

Customer Question
I am refinancing our...

I am refinancing our home and the loan will be in my name. What happens if I die before my husband? Can he just make the payments? I live in CA.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/22/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: legalgems, Arbitrator replied 11 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

Most loans have a due on sale clause that is also triggered by the death of a borrower. But, as you can probably imagine, this resulted in a lot of spouses/relatives being forced out of their home, so this resulted in the passing of a Federal Act, called the Garn-St Germain Act of 1982. This basically allows a surviving relative to assume the loan, at no additional fees. They can have their name placed on the loan and they simply need to provide documentation showing they can afford the mortgage. There can be no charge for this.
The act is located here:
https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/laws/rules/8000-4100.html

So basically the survivoring relative simply assumes the loan and can have both the title and the deed in their name.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

What if he just continues to make the payments?

If a person continues to make payments on a decedent's account without notifying the lender of their passing, the lender can sue for fraud and call the mortgage due - the federal act is designed to allow a spouse to assume the loan without incurring additional fees (ie refinance fees).

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: