Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I am leasing a townhome, and my Daughter is listed on the

lease as an occupant. She...
I am leasing a townhome, and my Daughter is listed on the lease as an occupant. She let her boyfriend move in without being on the lease. The relationship was abuse and he left for Vegas 10 days ago to find another place to live. After a week of verbal abuse she asked him to remove his items from the house. His excuse is he does not have a place to put them yet. The lease is up 10/9. As the lease owner, I send him an email letting him know the lease term ends 10/9 and asked him to let me know by 9/23 what "his plan" for removing his items. He has not responded. What legal options do we have? What happens if his things are not removed by end of lease? Thank you
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Washington
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: such as?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Unfortunately, if you leave his personal property at the townhome, without any agreement with the landlord, you will be legally deemed to have no vacated the premises and will continue to accrue rent liability.

You will need to put his things in storage and send him a written notice where he will find his things.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels, while incurring further liability.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

what does"deemed to have no vacated the premises " mean.
My lease is with the apt complex. I don't know what their policy is on times left in the pat.
I was told that his attorney told his I cannot touch his stuff.

It means that you will not have legally moved out, and you could still continue to owe rent as a holdover tenant, if you leave his possessions in the townhouse.

You can, with reasonable care, move his things to a storage facility and forward him the location, along wiht instructions to claim his property, since the lease is ending.

He does not have an address to send notification. Am I obligated to pay for the storage unit? For how long, indefinately?He has several large items.
If he does not have an address, and is not responding to may email, couldn't he claim he was never notified?

You will need to find him. Unfortunately, you can not just abandon his property or throw it out without exposing yourself to liability.

You will need to pay the initial cost, but once you find him and tell him where the property is then it is his responsibility.

Loren, Lawyer
I do know his attorneys name. would you suggest I cc his attorney on the email as I do not have an address.
How long am I legally required to hold and pay storage on his belongings in the sate of Washington?
contact his attorney.
Pay the first month and then he is on his own. Let the atty know you are owed for that first month.
Loren, Lawyer