Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If you have a signed "Contractor Waiver of Lien" are you

If you have a signed...
If you have a signed "Contractor Waiver of Lien" are you still responsible for the contractors material purchased for you project?
JA: Where is the property located?
Customer: Florida east coast st johns cty
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: yes all county/state permits & project has been completed but the contractor has not paid the suppler(s)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
9/22/2017
Loren, Lawyer

If they have signed a waiver of lien then they are estopped form placing a mechanic's lien of the property for which they have signed the lien for.

However, it may not estop a breach of contract action. It would certainly make it more difficult to prove the claim, but it is possible.

Where are you located? We are going to require an lawyer. This contractor did not follow the engineering specific on this project.

While I am a Florida licensed attorney, I am not taking on new clients now (retired).

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Also, The Florida Bar maintains an excellent online referral program:

FLORIDA BAR ATTORNEY REFERRAL

Are you still online with me?

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for the quick response. Enjoy your retirement. We were until we lost our FL home to Mathew& loosing $150k on a new sea wall that has been installed incorrectly. AKM

The lien waiver would not preclude you, in and of itself, from bringing a claim for breach of warranty.

Loren, Lawyer