Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a commercial lease (restaurant) - my lease ending…

Customer Question
I have a commercial...

I have a commercial lease (restaurant) - my lease ending date is March 2020 it is a 5 year lease - the owner sold the building, the new owners want me to sign a one year lease because they are tearing the building down next year- they are telling me that if I do not sign the lease they will have me removed from the premises. is there anything I can do about my lease this is my lively hood and I don't know what to do they sent me a certified letter stating if I don't sign with in 10 days of the letter the will file with the court to have me removed

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not as of yet

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/22/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Are you in breach of the lease?

Does the lease have any provision for early termination?

No

Thank you for the additional information.

The new owner takes title subject to your tenancy and can not terminate it early without you being in breach or without a lease provision allowing for early termination.

That means that the lease remains enforceable with the new owner, who steps into the shoes of the prior landlord as their successor in interest.

Of course, you can negotiate a modification with the landlord. They would need to buy out your interest to terminate early.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.