Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My son just purchased a home he had a house inspection and…

Customer Question
My son just purchased...

My son just purchased a home he had a house inspection and prior to purchasing the home the inspection discovered a bat infestation in the home the seller stated he would take care of the problem. The seller hired Terminex to fix the problem my son had to ask repeatedly to get a written statement that the bat infestation was taken care if he finally got a receipt five days before closing saying the bat infestation had been taken care of. This is his first home and he is young at the age of 28. He has two children one that just turned two and a newborn he trusted in good faith all the bats were gone and moved into the home two weeks ago. The closing was August 22. Now two weeks later in the upstairs they started noticing bugs by the attic and going on the child's brand new mattress to the point where they only go upstairs to the main bathroom to take a shower his family is all sleeping downstairs. Due to bugs they were sing upstairs they made a decision to call their own pest control company. The pest control company went in the attic and there is live active bats along with bugs which are bat bugs that act and bat fecies they out the attic. At this point they are afraid the vats could possibly cone thru cents due to infestation not to mention the bat bugs and fecies. The seller was contacted and he states he will call Termibex which he did Termibex us the ones that did not fix the problem to begin with in doing research on this issue due to infestation the whole attic will need to be gutted along with new walls as the bugs are now into the walks and vents my son got his loan they USDA as he does not make allot of money. He wants to get out of the financial responsibility of the home for fear that the bars bugs and fecies are going to be ab ongoing issue and will not be fixed properly e

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

They have already closed in the home and moved in two weeks ago. All paperwork in regards ***** ***** the home is complete

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/22/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

Unfortunately, he isn't going to get out of the home purchase because he is now the legal owner of it. He can, however, hold the seller and Terminix liable for any damages and for the costs of repairing them...

.

He would want to first give Terminix the opportunity to cure the problem once more as he has a duty of good faith to let them try. If they can't, then he can contact someone else, and then sue them and the seller for any costs of repairs.

.

If they can get the infestation wiped out, then he can still hold them liable along with the seller for any damages and repairs if the infestation got worse since they didn't cure it the first time..

.

.

thanks

Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 8 months ago

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much