Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am the executor of my grandmothers will. I have paid taxes…

I am the executor of...
I am the executor of my grandmothers will. I have paid taxes on the house for 9 years. Tried to sell it, off and on, for years. Now a family member says they have a deed to the house(that is not registered). If they try to use the deed. Can I be reimbursed for the 9 years I have kept up the taxes?
9/21/2017
ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you would have a claim for reimbursement through a doctrine known as "unjust enrichment", which is an "equitable" claim. That means that it would be unfair if you were not to be paid back for benefiting this family member in the way that you did (certainly when the family member never made this known prior to now).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacESQ
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer