How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ScottyMacESQ Your Own Question
ScottyMacESQ, Lawyer
Category: Real Estate Law
Satisfied Customers: 17113
Experience:  Licensed General Practice Attorney, Texas
Type Your Real Estate Law Question Here...
ScottyMacESQ is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am the executor of my grandmothers will. I have paid taxes

This answer was rated:

I am the executor of my grandmothers will. I have paid taxes on the house for 9 years. Tried to sell it, off and on, for years. Now a family member says they have a deed to the house(that is not registered). If they try to use the deed. Can I be reimbursed for the 9 years I have kept up the taxes?

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Yes, you would have a claim for reimbursement through a doctrine known as "unjust enrichment", which is an "equitable" claim. That means that it would be unfair if you were not to be paid back for benefiting this family member in the way that you did (certainly when the family member never made this known prior to now).

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

ScottyMacESQ and other Real Estate Law Specialists are ready to help you