Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

If it's in a deed that you & the neighbor share a well, can…

Customer Question
If it's in a...

If it's in a deed that you & the neighbor share a well, can they tell you that you have to drill a well or they are shutting off your water rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Gouverneur NY

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No he just sent my son a notarized letter that he was shutting the water off come April 1st. This is my property for one not my son's. My son just lives there.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I just need some advice if this legal.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 12 months ago
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
Is there any written agreement regarding the terms of the shared well?
It's been in the deed since the 1800's. I have owned the property for close to 20 yr's .
Thank you for the additional information.
Absent any written agreement providing otherwise, the neighbor can not unilaterally terminate your well rights without some cause or showing of abuse on your part. Send a written response to the neighbor demanding they not breach your deeded water rights
If they do not comply, you can sue the neighbor to get an order preventing any interruption of your water rights.If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!