Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in a. Coop I had issue which was broad up in a board

I live in a. Coop I...
I live in a. Coop
I had issue which was broad up in a board meeting
The management company provided me with one answer which is different from the answer I got from a board member.
I would like to get a copy of the minutes of the board meeting which discussed my issue to see who is right.
I was told I cannot get a copy of the minutes
Do I have any recourse
Thanks
9/21/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

What state is this in regards ***** *****?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
New York

Thank you;

NY Business Corporation Law 624 provides the following: the shareholder may access

“minutes of the proceedings of shareholders and record of shareholders and to make extracts therefrom for any purpose reasonably related to such person's interest as a shareholder." - so access versus physical copies must be provided per the statute.

If they refuse a motion to compel can be brought in the local civil court.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please clarify I am not referring to shareholders meeting i.e. Annual meeting. What I was referring to is the month Board meeting which is comprised of only 5 elected board members.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Monthly

Code 624 states:

Each corporation shall keep correct and complete books and records of account and shall keep minutes of the proceedings of its shareholders, board and executive committee, if any, and shall keep at the office of the corporation in this state or at the office of its transfer agent or registrar in this state, a record containing the names and addresses of all shareholders, the number and class of shares held by each and the dates when they respectively became the owners of record thereof. Any of the foregoing books, minutes or records may be in written form or in any other form capable of being converted into written form within a reasonable time.

So it does not distinguish between types of meetings but states that the right of inspection applies to the underlined meetings above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks

Most welcome; enjoy your weekend!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry addition clarification Your last response did not address the issue specifically if a shareholder can have access to the minutes/
Can you send me a link to Code 624 or Code that says shareholders can gain access
Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Got it thanks

I actually access the code via a subscription service but if you google it you will find it- I just can't link to copyrighted sources.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We cross wires I has able to get a copy THnaks

Perfect. Thanks!

legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator