Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I want to know if I can take possession of some property I'm…

Customer Question
I want to know...

I want to know if I can take possession of some property I'm co owner of with my sister, the propertys 5 years behind on taxes and the county said November they will auction, I have the money but I don't want to be co owner with her, and she has no money.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Shes a repeat offender about to go back to prison, my brother is co owner also but has been missing for 8 months. I just want them out of it, my mother left us the land but we never had a formal deed transfer done

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question. On review of your facts, you have a good case. You have a right to do so where you own it and can show it. If there is joint ownership and there is objection you would need to sue for a court order.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!If needed, martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
if I wait until the county is about to foreclose because of back taxes and pay those taxes at that time will it be easier to take full ownership? do I still have to see a judge and file a case?
I would not wait. Better to have possession and use that to negotiate!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
I'm sorry I don't understand, negotiate? Do you mean negotiate with them?
I want complete ownership , they are both criminals and I don't want them around.
Negotiate with county concerning taxes and getting clear title.if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
how much does that cost , a ball park, to file and handle a case like this?
Depends on the lawyer but expect around $2000 retainer and 10 hours of work at $200 per hour. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!