Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I bought a home in .Beach, FL. The title co. has received a…

Customer Question
I bought a home...

I bought a home in B.Beach, FL. The title co. has received a supoena for complete records, including my bank statements, emails, etc. with them regarding my purchase with my name and my son's name on it. The lady has a lawsuit AGAINST my son in Indiana. She thinks he helped me buy my house. I do not want to give her all my financial information and don't feel she has any right to it. I am NOT named in original lawsuit. But I had a lawsuit Against her in IN. that was settled in 2014. I would like to cause her some GRIEF that she has caused me ( and anxiety and time). I am retired and live on a tight budget and cannot afford attorney fees. Would you have any suggestions how NOT to comply and fight request? Thanks I really appreciate it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

The supoena is in Palm Beach County, FL (boynton beach)

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes, in the*****P.Beach Co. #61099930, Case #***** Case # ***** 009698-XXX-Mb

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This person has a history of scamming people with opportunities to buy real estate and then want huge amt. of money for her being half owner but paying none of expenses. (My real estate investment-legal battle). She is also a Former girlfriend of my sons'. Not happy he has been with the mother of my 3 g.children for 10+ years. Very vengeful person. Thanks

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
The original lawsuit-judgment is in Indianapolis, IN.
No text at(###) ###-#### sorry.
9/21/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would need to file and draft a motion to quash the subpoena in the court where the suit is filed.The court may limti the subpoena if you are not a party here.If you want to claim privacy here you need to file such a motion and ask for a hearing on it.

Sample motions

http://www.floridasupremecourt.org/pub_info/summaries/briefs/13/13-1333/Filed_01-14-2014_Motion_to_Quash.pdf

You have to modify these to your case here where son is sued and claim privacy and that you are not a party to the suit.

I appreciate the chance to help you and wish you the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

May I personally file and draft a motion? What does draft entail? Do I file that first in Florida (hearing is Oct. 7, 2017) title co. meeting to be held at the filing plaintiff attorneys office earlier.
Or do I file it first in Indiana and at same time in FL? Thanks
I am disappointed that all I received was an email address and really didn't give any information to be of help. I could have researched that. I have no idea of any legal matters. I feel this the $49. is not a fair amount-now I am to pay extra to call.
No thanks. I'm confused how a #5 can be warranted for what little you said.

You would need to file this in Indiana where the suit is filed.

https://www.smartrules.com/guides/indiana-dsc-subpoena-2/#read-more

You may choose here to write the judge asking that the subpoena be quashed and a protective order issued.You are not a party and your personal privacy is at risk here.

Since you do not have a lawyer this may be the ebst you can do if you cannot afford a lawyer and travel.

You can write letter or file motion to quash yourself prose.

Forms here, use free preview so you don't have to buy them

https://www.uslegalforms.com/us/US-02675BG.htm

Thanks again and thanks for rating.