Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

My landlord got me to move out of my hollywood apartment to…

Customer Question
Hi so my landlord...

Hi so my landlord got me to move out of my hollywood apartment to come live at his guest house in Santa Monica. I've been living here for 3 months now and I have yet to receive a key and a lease. He has also opened my mail, come in several time without my permission (once even while I was naked), never wants to have things in writing and I have this all in voice recorder and video camera. He is mentally and emotionally abusive. I cannot even lock my door to the apartment that I live in and I am scared to live where I am living.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Santa Monica, CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No He doesn't give me any of that He refuses to have anything in writing but I have a voicenote where I recorded him saying that he agreed for me to stay for a year.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats it for now I am sure there will be follow up questions regarding all of this It's a pretty crazy situation where I am very scared

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Legally, a landlord does not have to give you a lease. From facts mentioned you are a month to month tenant. Landlord does have to give a key and provide quiet enjoyment, not interfere with use or mail. If landlord persists, you may file a complaint in court and you may also have a lawyer locally contact the landlord before filing in court.

You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
He did agree to me staying for a year so this agreement was not month to month.
If that is in writing, great. If not in writing it is month to month. if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Awaiting your reply, thank you!