Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

If a real property is for sale and the deed says no family

Customer Question
member can buy or live...
If a real property is for sale and the deed says no family member can buy or live in the property if another person buys the property can a family member lease or buy the property the property from the new owner
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Vermont
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: The realtor has paper work
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. The answer to your question as to whether the family member can lease the property, the answer is yes if there is no deed restriction. on the other hand, if the new owner takes the land subject to the deed restriction that the family member cannot by the property, then the deed restriction is going to stay in place. My recommendation to the new owner would be to have that deed restriction remove so that way it doesn't unnecessarily prohibit them from transferring the property as they see fit.

.Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer