Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We just had Hurricane Irma come through Miami. My neighbor…

Customer Question
Hi. We just...

Hi. We just had Hurricane Irma come through Miami. My neighbor has a humungous tree that damaged my roof ($2400 thus far). I asked her 4 months ago to address the branches, She said "over my dead body". A month ago, I had its branches trimmed on my side for $1000. What can I do to prevent further damage next time? It's a clear hazard to my home.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

In Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

With the insurance? I hav ean adjuster coming soon.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. Thanks.

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 12 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter advising that if she does not reimburse you for the trespass to your land, then you will pursue an action in civil court. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. What other questions did you have for me?