Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I live in a gated community with 42 miles of road. Over 50 %

I live in a gated...
I live in a gated community with 42 miles of road. Over 50 % of dues go to maintaining our roads. Can the HOA restrict certain vehicles, such as heavy equipment trucks or moving vans, due to non payment of dues?
JA: What state is this in? And how old is the truck?
Customer: NC
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: The community was formed before 1999. The HOA is considering having the members get a permit before any of the vehicles are let in. If you are in the rears you can not get a permit.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
9/20/2017
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

If the HOA owns the roads and maintains them at their own expense, they can pass whatever rules they want on use as long as the matter is put to a vote of the members and it passes by the required percentage of votes set out in the Bylaws to pass a new rule.

.

Since a HOA is a mini-government, it can add new restrictions and rules as the need arises as long as the members approve them by voting.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Lawyer
Thank you. Our By-laws allow the Board to make Community Rules. Your answer was very helpful.
Barrister, Lawyer