Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

We are homeowners with a fence that was built a few years…

Customer Question
We are homeowners with...

We are homeowners with a fence that was built a few years ago on our property, Our neighbor decided one day to put a flower bed the length of our fence on the outside of our fence. She is now watering and forgetting about it and our yard is being flooded and our dog muddy when he comes in. She is going to rot our fence if this continues. What are the boundary rules and can she attach her flower bed to our fence? Thanks

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Dallas, Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, not yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am going to schedule a boundary survey.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your neighbor. I realize how frustrating this is, but the law does afford you remedies to deal with it.

If your neighbor is running water onto your property you can sue for nuisance (interfering with the use and enjoyment of your property) and trespass (diverting their water flow to your property) over the water flow they are directing onto your property.

Actually, you can start with a cease and desist letter, but if they fail to respond, you will need to sue.

If the claim does not exceed $10k, you can sue in small claims court.

If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspx

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question satisfactorily.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!