Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

I'm looking for the legal definition of "interior lot line."

I'm looking for the legal...
I'm looking for the legal definition of "interior lot line." A California code authority is applying a code requirement for an "interior lot line" to my front property line (that abutts a public road).
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Has any paperwork been filed?
Customer: a residential planning permit has been applied for
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Looking for a definition of this term in California Code
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Lot line or propertyline” means any boundary of a lot. The classifications of lot lines andtheir definitions are as follows:

1. “Front lot line” means the following:

a. On an interior lot,the line separating the lot from the street;

b. On a corner lot, theshorter line abutting a street. (If the lot lines are equal or approximatelyequal, the director shall determine the front lot line);

c. On a through lot,the lot line abutting the street providing primary access to the lot.

2. “Interior lot line” means any lot linenot abutting a street.

3. “Rear lot line” means a lot line whichdoes not intersect the front lot line and which is most distant from and mostparallel to the front lot line. In the case of an irregularly-shaped lot or alot bounded by only three lot lines, the rear lot line is a ten-foot long lineparallel to and most distant from the front lot line for the purposes ofdetermining setbacks and other provisions of this code.

4. “Side lot line” means any lot line whichis not a front or rear lot line.

http://www.qcode.us/codes/laquinta/view.php?topic=9-9_280-9_280_030

This is not defined in the California Codes this was from the site above best I can do.Common definition is any lot line not abutting a street.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is helpful but, I need a reference...do you know what is the 'authority' of this definition?

This is found in local ordinances this is from city in California.Check your city ordinances.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this property is in an unincorporated area. The California Residential Code does not define "interior" or "interior lot line" but does define "lot line" as "a line dividing one lot from another or fro a street or any public place."

I just don't think the statute defines it they don't cover everything.

Another example of zoning covering it

Front lot line means the property boundary line which abuts a highway and in the case of a corner lot, it shall be the shorter of the property lines which abut highways. Rear lot line means the property line or lines, other than the front property line which connects the side property lines.

Understanding Setback Requirements - City of Parksville

Interior Property Line

INTERIOR PROPERTY LINE is one which is shared with other privately owned land, i.e. one's abutting neighbors. Street fronts or other sides opening onto a public way are not interior property lines. A rectangular property at a corner would typically have two interior property lines and two fronts on a public way.

http://live-work.com/plainenglish-ws/glossary/interior.shtml

How Oakland defines it

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am still looking for the California legal definition of interior lot line, then? any suggestions for where I can look for some authority? I don't think it will help me to say "Some other city in California defines "interior lot line as (...what your wrote above...)

You aren't going to find it.Here is a case with Los Angeles Definitions

FN 1. Section 12.03 sets forth these relevant definitions:

"Lot Line, Front--In the case of an interior lot, a line separating the lot from the street or place; and in the case of a corner lot, a line separating the narrowest street frontage of the lot from the street, except in those cases where the latest tract deed restrictions specify another line as the front lot line. [Italics added.]

"Lot Line, Side--Any lot boundary line not a front lot line or a rear lot line.

"Lot, Reversed Corner--A corner lot the side street line of which is substantially a continuation of the front lot line of the first lot to its rear.

"Lot, Interior--A lot other than a corner lot.

"Lot, Key--The first interior lot to the rear of a reversed corner lot. ...

"Yard, Front--A yard extending across the full width of the lot, the depth of which is the minimum horizontal distance between the front lot line and a line parallel thereto on the lot."

http://law.justia.com/cases/california/supreme-court/2d/68/697.html

You can look at your county here to see if they have ordinance with similar definitions.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks - the other examples are useful. I just want to be certain that "interior lot line" does not include "front lot line" before I dispute the building department finding.

As you can see none of these defined it as front lot line, you are on solid ground here.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks a bunch. i will keep looking but this is good info

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars.

Ray, Lawyer
Ray, Lawyer