Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am looking for a legal advice. We just moved into a new…

Customer Question
Hello, I am looking...

Hello, I am looking for a legal advice. We just moved into a new place and our landlord have been doing sewer replacement on site (septic to sewer) for over 3 weeks. Every day maintenance is in our house, all the area around the house is in mud and dust. We have to move our dogs out everyday for them to be able to do some work in the house. They worked on weekends as well and for 3 weeks now we have not been able to relax at home at all and paying for day care for dogs as well as cleaning dust everywhere. We are not sure when they will get done and when it is all going to end. What can we do? Can we ask for at least some money for this inconvenience?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

WA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not yet, but we took a lot of pictures.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/20/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Barrister, Lawyer

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by JustAnswer. If you have requested a phone call with an attorney, your request will post to other experts that do offer this service. When another attorney accepts your request you will get additional instructions.

.

When you rented the house, you rented the entire house, yard and all and if the landlord has decided to do all this construction while you are there, he is breaching your rights to "exclusive use and possession" and "quiet use and enjoyment" of the property. With that said, you would have a cause of action should you want to pursue it for breach of contract and could sue and ask a judge to determine the diminished value of the property with all this construction and interruptions.

.

So you might want to send the landlord a letter stating the above part about your rights being violated and then end by stating that you feel $XXX is a reasonable reduction in the rent to compensate you for your additional costs and his violating your rights as a tenant and you agree to settle for that reduction rather than pursuing this further.

.

Then you see if he agrees to voluntarily give you a rent reduction for the inconvenience. If not, you can then sue in small claims court and let a judge decide.

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks