Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

People are taring down a fence in my back yard, they just…

Customer Question
People are taring down...

People are taring down a fence in my back yard, they just bought the house behind me. I've lived here for 15 years and that fence was there before I bought my home. I told them to stop and they trespassed on my property. they claim that 13 feet of my backyard is theirs. hoe can I stop them? Urgent!

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida, Pinellas county, the city of St Petersburg

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Like what?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They claim they have a survey from the people that they bought it from. The police just left but they said I can't do anything about it. Do I have time to contest this? How can I stop this until I talk to an attorney?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

Did the police say why they could not stop them?

Have they actually removed your fence already?

The police said they could not stop them. Yes, they removed the fence and placed it about 15 feet back toward s my house.
Thank you for the additional information.
Yes, you can challenge this, but you need to have your own survey done to confirm the property line is where you believe it to be.
If the survey confirms that then you can file suit to claim damages for the trespass and damage to your fence, as well as replacement to its original position.
Itmis notmrequired you have an attorney tomgomto court, but it is strongly recommended. If you need assistance finding local counsel try Martindale Hubble (site rules prohibit us from referring specific attorneys). Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:http://www.martindale.com/Find-Lawyers-and-Law-Firms.aspxIt is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty. The attorneys are peer rated. So, they represent the top of the profession.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Please let me know if Imhave answered your question satisfactorily.
Loren, Lawyer