Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I have a tenant that is in Texas. She has not paid this

Customer Question
I have a tenant...

I have a tenant that is in Texas. She has not paid this months rent. When I text her, she curses me. I know I can send her an eviction letter. What are my rights while she is gone. I had a gas stove when she moved in, she was scared for her girls to use it. Unknown to me she replaced it with an electric, sat the gas stove on the porch and the glass was broken out of the door. Can I keep the stove she replaced it with?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Alabama

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I had blinds in the house, she took them out and replaced them with wooden blinds

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. When the tenant vacates, they need to leave the rental in the same condition as when they took possession, less normal wear and tear. If they removed a stove with your permission, they would either need to leave the current one or pay you for the value of the one removed or replace it. If there was a gas stove when they moved in, there needs to be one when they vacate, unless you agreed to something else with them. As far as her being gone, you can not use self help to evict her. By that, I mean you can not change the locks or remove her personally belongings in an attempt to get her out. You would have to give her notice and go through the formal eviction process.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer
RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer