Real Estate Law

Have Real Estate Law Questions? Ask a Real Estate Lawyer.

Real Estate Law

Is it legal for a Property Owners Association in Arkansas to

limit residents to only 55...
Is it legal for a Property Owners Association in Arkansas to limit residents to only 55 years and older?
9/19/2017
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I have no follow uo questions at this time. Thank you

Thank you;

The Fair Housing Act protects 7 categories and age is not one of them (race, color, sex, national origin, religion, family staus, disability).

But the requirement that a resident must be 55+ arguably would violate family status but the Federal Housing for Older Persons Act of 1995 allows a community such as a POA to limit based on age if 80% of one of the residents in each unit is 55 plus.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator
legalgems
legalgems
legalgems, Arbitrator