Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I live in NJ. My garage has been broken into twice. While…

Customer Question
I live in NJ...

I live in NJ. My garage has been broken into twice. While minimal amounts of property has been taken, my landlord does not seem to be taking this seriously. We have no security cameras, we have had continuous issues with the front doors being broken or left open by other tenants. Do I have any type of recourse?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

NJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Like police reports? Yes on both occassions

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: RealEstateAnswer, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
RealEstateAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. I am sorry to hear about this. Does the garage have a lock on it?

it does. They have changed the lock previously. This now will be the second time.
There is an overall security concern in general. For example, people that live in other buildings can gain access to ours with their key fob. This is the second break in in a year.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the landlord has an obligation and duty to provide a safe and secure rental property. If they are aware of issues, they need to take the necessary steps to correct and prevent this from happening. If they fail to do so and are placed on notice about it, they could be in breach. If they are in breach and the landlord does not care and refuses to do anything, you could have a basis to break the lease, vacate and sue. If this continues to happen and the landlord does nothing, you do not have to be a victim and could vacate and if they try and sue you, for breaking the lease, defend it, so retain all evidence of this and your attempts to get the landlord to fix it and their failure to do so.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!