Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

Do the sellers have to fill out a property disclosure form…

Do the sellers have...

Do the sellers have to fill out a property disclosure form for the sale of a condo unit in NYS?

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Sullivan County NY Town of Fallsburg

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Property Disclosure no

9/19/2017
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

No. Condominiums are not included in the statutory definition of “residential real property." The law exempts condominium units and cooperative apartments.

See: N.Y. Real Prop. Law §461(5).

http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2012/rpp/article-14

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

The approved form also so states that Condos are not included. See:

https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/licensing/1614-a.pdf

It states as follows:

“Residential real property” means real property improved by a one to four family dwelling used or occupied, or intended to be used or occupied, wholly or partly, as the home or residence of one or more persons, but shall not refer to (a) unimproved real property upon which such dwellings are to be constructed or (b) condominium units or cooperative apartments or (c) property on a homeownersassociation that is not owned in fee simple by the seller."

Kind regards,

Gerald

(Please do not forget to rate me – click the five stars. It adds nothing additional to your costs, but it helps me greatly. Plus it is good Karma for you. Thank you.)

Gerald-Esquire