Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I am currently renting a home. It was foreclosed on Aug 11,

Customer Question
Hi, I am currently...

Hi, I am currently renting a home. It was foreclosed on Aug 11, yesterday was the auction date. It was granted back the bank.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in? And has any paperwork been filed?

Now my Landlord is threatening to evict me to pay rent to her?

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

She put a 3 day notice on my door on Saturday she states she will be filing on 9/21

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

I need to know does she have the legal right to evict me. She claims she a deed that gives her the right until December. However she will not provide me any documents.

Good question, what state is this in?

FLorida

Gotcha. Well, if someone forecloses on the property, you have at least 90 days after the foreclosure is official to leave the property should the new owner decide that this is what should happen if you are a yearly tenant or a month to month tenant. The new owner must give you notice. Additionally, if the old landlord is trying to evict you even though the home has been sold, they have no authority to do so as they are no longer the home owner. Basically, you can ignore their requests.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Ok. She is sending me theartening text.

I can certainly understand. The threatening texts are one thing. You should just explained that because they're no longer the owner of the property and because Florida law allows you to stay for at least 90 days after the sale has closed, that that you are currently considering getting a restraining order against this person. A restraining orders pretty easy to get and it would prevent them from ever contacting you ever again. In the meantime, you are in a good position legally so I will just probably wait until you hear from the bank about what to do next. What are the questions did you have for me?

That is all. Thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.