Real Estate Law

Have real estate law questions? Ask a real estate lawyer.

I'm looking for the exemption code to transfer property

Customer Question
Hi, I'm looking for...

Hi, I'm looking for the exemption code to transfer property between husband and wife, because of separation

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Prince William County, VA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I prepared the quit claim deed. Spoke to the Land records office today, and they said I need to include the exemption. Hoping to file today.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Real Estate Law
9/19/2017
Real Estate Lawyer: Ray, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Ray, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

DEED PURSUANT TO A DIVORCE OR SEPARATION

When it is a deed transferring property pursuant to a decree of divorce or of separate maintenance or

pursuant to a written instrument incident to such divorce or separation

Exempt from

Grantee Tax-§ 58.1-811 (A)(16)

Exempt from Grantor Tax-§ 58.1-811 (C)(1)

Both sections must be referenced

These are the two codes you must reference with such a transfer for legal separation or divorce.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Thank you
Just list it like this:Exempt from
Grantee Tax-§ 58.1-811 (A)(16)

Thats correct that should do it.Thanks.